Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://dl.umsu.ac.ir/handle/10722/67724
Title: Physical status of HPV-16 in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma
Authors: Si, HX;Tsao, SW;Poon, CSP;Wong, YC;Cheung, ALM
Year: 2005
Publisher: Elsevier BV. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jcv
Netherlands
Description: Background: Infection with high-risk human papillomavirus (HPV) has been implicated as one of the risk factors of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC). Integration of viral DNA into host genome is essential for carcinogenesis since it promotes disruption of the HPV E2 gene, leading to abnormal expression of E6 and E7 oncoproteins. Objectives and study design: To investigate the viral integration status of HPV-16 infection in ESCC, 35 HPV-positive ESCC specimens collected from Chinese patients were subject to real-time quantitative PCR for determination of physical status of HPV-16 by analyzing the ratios of E2 to E6 genes. Results: Our results showed that only 8.6% (3/35) of the HPV-16 positive specimens harbored exclusively the episomal form (i.e. E2/E6 ratio ≥ 1), whereas the remaining 91.4% contained either only the integrated form (5.7%, with E2/E6 ratio = 0) or a mixture of episomal and integrated forms of viral molecules (85.7%, with E2/E6 ratios > 0 but <1). Amongst the 30 cancer specimens carrying mixed integrated and episomal forms, 28 had E2/integrated E6 ratios of less than 1, indicating a predominance of integrated form of viral genes in these lesions. Conclusion: Our finding of frequent integration of viral DNA in the host genome suggests that integration HPV-16 is common in ESCC from Chinese patients and implies that HPV infection may play a role in the pathogenesis of ESCC. © 2004 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
URI: http://www.scopus.com/mlt/select.url?eid=2-s2.0-9644258597&selection=ref&src=s&origin=recordpage
http://library.hku.hk:4550/resserv?sid=HKU:IR&issn=1386-6532&volume=32&spage=19&epage=23&date=2005&atitle=Physical+status+of+HPV-16+in+esophageal+squamous+cell+carcinoma
http://hub.hku.hk/handle/10722/67724
Standard no: Journal Of Clinical Virology, 2005, v. 32 n. 1, p. 19-23
10.1016/j.jcv.2004.04.004
23
96582
WOS:000226189600003
1386-6532
1
15572001
eid_2-s2.0-9644258597
19
32
Appears in Collections:Department of Anatomy

Files in This Item:
Click on the URI links for accessing contents.


Items in HannanDL are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.